Monday, March 30, 2009

The Hippo Song

Well, a decision has finally been made! You see, decisions like this never come easy for me... I needed to pick a song that I don't mind hearing over and over and over again. I needed to find a song that had a wonderful opportunity for toddlers to learn more about something (anything!). And I wanted something that has endless possibilities for crafts and activities, games and exploration.

I really thought of doing Old MacDonald... I probably will do that one next, as the decision was a hard one. But, for now I just can't resist The Hippo Song! I love this song and used to teach it to my Sunday schoolers every week. I hope the books come out as cute as the books for "If I were" did! I'm excited!!

The Hippo Song

In the beginning, God made the sea
{spread your hands out to make a wavy sea in front of you}

And the forest filled with trees
{bring your arms up and out at the shoulders, hands pointed down, to make a tree}
He made the mountains up so high

{Bring your arms above your head and make a mountain pointed over you head}

And on the top he placed the sky
{Leave one hand pointed up and use the other to make a motion over the mountain for the sky}

God's fingerprints are everywhere
Just to show how much He cares
But in between He had loads of fun
He made a hippo who weighs a ton.
{Drop voice to a low deep voice} {Make your hands out like a fat hippo and hunch down}

Hip-hip-hip-hippopotamus
{Jump up and down as a "Hippo", with a low voice still}

Hip-hip-hooray God made us
{Raise your hands in praise and jump for joy, use a normal voice for this line}
Hip-hip-hip-hippopotamus

{Jump up and down as a "Hippo", with a low voice}

Hip-hip-hooray God made us

{Raise your hands in praise and jump for joy, use a normal voice for this line}

Mary Rice Hopkins


No comments: