Thursday, May 28, 2009

Lucky

This job of mine is often described as a "thankless job." I am here, for the kids all day, every day. I rarely get a day off. I can't just "call in sick" if something happens. I make crafts with the kids, do activities, teach songs, have fun, and otherwise keep the kiddos busy, entertained, and learning the whole time that they are here. I take my job very seriously - and, except for the occassional facebook break (so that I can, you know, connect with the outside world from time to time?) I really am working the whole day long. When the kiddos are engaged in something that doesn't require my undivided attention, I'm sanitizing, planning, cooking, cleaning, or preparing for the next activity. Anybody who does child care full time can tell you how exhausting a day can be.

But, I'm not working for myself. I'm working for the kids and for their parents. And let me just take this opportunity to tell you how stinking lucky I am that I have two wonderful families to work for. Noah's family and Paityn's family are all so appreciative and thankful for what I do. They constantly praise me and shower me with compliments about the quality of care that I provide. Never a day goes by that I'm not thanked. Both families go out of their way to show me love and appreciation, and that makes me incredibly lucky!

Just this morning, for instance, Paityn came in with a bag full of cups/lids for me to use. Mom said that they just had extras and wanted to share them with me! Noah came in with a bag full of food. For me! For dinner tonight! Enchiladas and salad. For my family to enjoy at dinnertime.

What's more is that today is nothing special. Just another Thursday here at the child care home. These kinds of generous offerings happen very regularly around here - like I mentioned already, not a day goes by without a thank-you of some kind.

If you are part of Noah's family or Paityn's family - THANKS! :) Thanks for just loving me and supporting me and always appreciating my work.

If you aren't part of one of these kiddos' families - go thank your child's caregiver today. Just a short e-mail is meaningful and appreciated enough. (I speak from experience!) Or practical gifts go a long way, too. :) Let's just go ahead and make today hug-your-provider day. Awww... I'm so lucky. Thanks again, bosses!

2 comments:

April said...

That is so sweet. I wish I could express in words how much "WE" appreciate you. I know I can't always be with Paityn, but you ease that anxiety for me. I know she is in GREAT HANDS! She loves it there, and I think that says it all...we both love you and your family.

noahsmom said...

I think WE'RE the lucky ones Maggie!! If we can't be with Noah, there is NO ONE we'd rather have him be with. You enrich all of our lives so much. We are truly blessed!!!