Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Library Day

Today, we took a little field trip to the library. I'm so proud of the kiddos, they're getting the hang of being "out" with Ms. Maggie. My trips out with the kids are far less stressful than they used to be. It helps that they're all of an age now where they have a better understanding of rules and of my general disposition. They can sense when I get stressed out - which, honestly, when I'm out in public is quite often.

Today at the library, we encountered two other field trips there at the same time as us! Two different vans/buses in the parking lot almost made me cancel out trip inside. What if my three kids get mixed up with their 30-something kids? What if someone gets confused and grabs the hand of one of my three kids on accident? What if my three kids go on a book-off-the-shelf spree and I can't control it? What if I can't control anything that happens inside!?

Really, though, I should have known that "my" three kids were well trained, super well behaved and just as nervous about the whole thing as I was. Julia is my big helper - she really helped me stay sane the whole time we were there! Julia held the hand of her little sister, Rebecca while I held onto Noah's hand. Rebecca and Noah did no protest at all - and stayed right by our sides the whole time. Julia was so concerned about making mommy proud, that she didn't give into her preschool instincts and follow some of the other, bigger kids around. Instead, she was my assistant teacher - the second in command, Hah!

We had a great time. We even found a little corner of the library to sit down and read some books. We ended up bringing four books home, plus one video, and a teacher's kit about farm animals. I'm really excited about our haul!

I took advantage of the day, and popped in the borrowed video (Elmocise!) when we got home so that I could make lunch worry-free. The kids were glued to it, and even played along during some of the exercises.

What a great day. What a great group of kids. What a blessing!

No comments: