Thursday, February 26, 2009

"If I were...." unit

I already spilled the beans about our "If I were" project, so I figured I'd provide a little more detail. The project has taken us a very long time to complete, and really it's still not done as I have some finishing touches to add to the children's books. But, it's important that we gauge interest and excitement in something so that we can add to that to foster development. For example, little Noah is a pretty big fan of FISH, so when we got to that part of the song, we took some time to talk about fish, count the fish in our tank, and sing other songs that have "fish" in them. Likewise, when we got to the kangaroos, Paityn started to show off her ability to hop! And, I realized that we had never really practiced hopping before, so we took a few days to sign some songs and do some activites that included hopping around - we discovered that there are lots of animals and critters that hop!

The only thing I find as a "downer" about this project is that the kiddos are not taking their creations home to share with their loved ones right away. I'm holding on to their completed creations so that they can go into a nice book at the end of the unit. Since I love to show off what we've been doing here, the parents have had to be very patient and trust that I'm actually working with the kiddos on things that are artsy/craftsy. :) So, now I present to you... proof that we have been very busy!


Here is the music & movement component of the first part of our song (pay attention to the end, little Paityn has quite the moooves!)




So, what do you think should be next? I'm thinking Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you See? would make for some creative art ideas and some great sound recognition activities!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooo I like Brown Bear Brown Bear! I can't wait to see what else your kiddos come up with!

You are one BRAVE lady to post that video of yourself singing for the kids! You stayed on key and it sounded very nice! I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have the nerve to do that myself! YOU GO!

Those art work pieces are GREAT! I am amazed that they were created by such a young group of kiddos! You've got some smart little kids in your care!

Ooooo I just thought of another song that would include lots of other critters and things you could work with: "Five Green and Speckled Frogs!" Is that the right title? Anyway, you know how it goes! "...sitting on a speckled log, eating the most delicious bugs...YUM YUM!..." You could include bugs and trees and frogs and all kinds of things.

Oh man, can you tell I miss teaching!!!?? ;)

Thank you, Miss Maggie for sharing these videos with us! I already know Noah and Beccs, of course but this is the first time I've seen Paytin and what a cutie she is! She does have those moooves you mentioned! And her funky baggy pants are a riot! Shake your booty, Paityn! :)

noahsmom said...

Can't wait to see the final book. This is the coolest project Ms. Maggie!!!! Noah and I have so much fun singing the "If I Were" song at home now. Thank you!!!

Anonymous said...

Those are awesome! Those kids are incredibly lucky to have you!

Anonymous said...

Paityn loves watching this video over again.